Ruby Bayan is a fulltime freelance writer, editor, and artist.
Published in print and online since 1996, she writes features, articles, newsletters, brochures, and business and marketing materials. Her byline appears in print publications such as Stringing Magazine, Energy for Women, Link-Up, EcoFlorida, Imprint, LifeLine, Orlando Sentinel, and BastaPinoy News.
Her online exposure includes regular contributions to eHow.com, TechRepublic.com, New2USA.com, WhOOdoo.com, Lodging.com, and eRef.com, among others. She focuses on non-fiction covering a wide range of topics including travel, gardening, backpacking, fitness, pets and animals, the Internet, technology, handmade jewelry, and the craft of writing.
Ruby was the Feature Writer of the defunct Inspiration/Motivation topic at Suite101.com from early 1999 to late 2005, and became the site’s Managing Editor for the Food and Drink section in 2001. She was appointed Dean of the School of Gardening of Suite University in 2002.
She maintains an archive of writing samples and links to published work in her personal homepage, OurSimpleJoys.com. Chosen by Writer’s Digest as one of the Top 10 Best Writer’s Web Sites in 2002, her homepage displays not just her writing, but also her Web site development skills and handcrafting projects.
Before shifting to a career in freelance writing, Ruby was Director for International Business Operations in North America for Corporate Information Solutions, a leading information technology company in the Philippines. Prior to that, she served the same company for more than 15 years in various capacities including systems analysis, marketing, sales, product management, training, and customer support.
Ruby Bayan holds a Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from the University of the Philippines. She is currently based in Florida, USA.
Freelance Writer and Editor
(1996 – present)
- Feature articles, columns, news items, research papers, business reports
- Resumes, brochures, ad copy, correspondence, reviews
- Web content, newsletters
- Article: “Rockjocks Return”
Hey Philippines Newsmagazine, Canada
(August 2008 – present)
- Inspiration and Health articles
Depot Home Magazine, Philippines
(Mar 2007 – present)
- Home and Garden articles
Ascott Living Magazine, Singapore
- Article: “Celebrating Life”
(Fall 2005 – present)
- Feature necklaces, bracelets, and earrings
- Article: “How’s the Weather, Brother?”
- Article: “Santacruzan: The Queen of May Festivities”
The Simple Touch of Fate
- Story: “Norman”
Listening to the Animals
- Two stories for the anthology “Their Mysterious Ways”
- Two stories for the anthology “Be Not Afraid”
Energy for Women Magazine
- Feature articles
Link-Up NewsMagazine: http://www.infotoday.com/lu/lunew.htm
(November 1999 – October 2001)
- Features on Internet and online services and usage.
Basta Pinoy! News: http://www.bastapinoy.com
(monthly Filipino American newspaper), Florida, USA
(Sept 1999 – Jan 2002)
- Regular Features – news items, motivational articles, and an op-ed column.
LifeLine Magazine, Manila, Philippines
(Nov 1996 – Dec 2000)
- Regular Column: “Simple Joys” – inspirational and motivational articles on fitness, self-improvement, and healthy relationships.
Ratrat (Meralco Mountaineers Newsletter, monthly) Manila, Philippines
(1996 – 1998)
Mabuting Balita, Manila, Philippines
(1985 – 1987)
- Regular Column: “Simple Joys” – inspirational articles aimed at uplifting the spirit through appreciation of the simple joys in life.
(June 2007 – present)
- Tutorial articles, mainly Home & Garden
(December 2007 – October 2009)
- Content for Fish, Reptiles, Small Mammals, and Livestock sections
- Inspirational articles
(February 2003 – August 2004)
- Articles on IT career and management issues and concerns
Suite University: http://www.suite101.com/suiteu/
(November 2002 – April 2003)
- School of Gardening – manage Course Developers and course offerings
Suite University: http://www.suite101.com/course.cfm/17201/seminar
(November 2002 – present)
- Online Course Offering: “Introduction to Backpacking”
(October 2001 – October 2004)
- Food and Drink Category – manage the Contributing Editors of several food and drink topics.
(July 2001 – present)
- Monthly column: “You Want to Be a Writer?” – tips, tricks, thoughts, and advice to aspiring freelance writers.
(Mar 2001 – May 2002)
- Management of articles, tutorials, links, layout, design, and graphics of a freshwater aquaria hobby site.
(Mar 2001 – May 2002)
- Management of articles, tutorials, links, layout, design, and graphics of a reference site about herbs.
Contributor and Member of the Advisory Board
(Feb 2000 – Feb 2002)
- Articles on housing, travel, transportation, society, culture, health, and money.
(November 1999 – present)
- Articles on indoor, office, and container gardening.
(November 1999 – April 2000)
- Articles covering travel, family/relationships, and health and fitness.
Content Provider and Feature Writer
(May 1999 – May 2001)
- Articles on various topics of interest including pets, health, Web site development, and e-commerce.
(April – June 1999)
- Category: Thought4theDay – daily tips distributed by email to online subscribers
Contributing Editor and Copy Editor
(Feb 1999 – present)
- Column: Inspiration/Motivation – monthly articles, discussions, and links to top inspirational Web sites (http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/inspiration_motivation)
WEB SITE DEVELOPMENT PORTFOLIO
Sites developed (design, layout, coding, graphics) and maintained:
* StoneyBurke.com ‘09 – http://www.stoneyburke.com
* MariaMonto.com ‘06 – http://www.mariamonto.com
* PRennebohm.com ‘04 – http://www.prennebohm.com
* SynchronicityStudios.com ‘03 – retired
* AlwaysThinkingofYou.com ‘03 – retired
* SoundnMotion.com ‘00 – hiatus
* OurSimpleJoys.com ‘98 – http://www.oursimplejoys.com
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY WORK EXPERIENCE
Director, North America
International Business Operations, Corporate Information Solutions Inc (formerly Computer Information Systems Inc) Meralco Center, Ortigas Avenue, Pasig City, Philippines (June 1997 – July 1998)
Senior Account Manager
Marketing Services Group, Computer Information Systems Inc, Meralco Center, Ortigas Avenue, Pasig City, Philippines (Jan 1997 – May 1997)
Document Processing Products Group, Software Breakthroughs Inc, Meralco Center, Ortigas Avenue, Pasig, Metro Manila, Philippines (1994 -1996)
Software Breakthroughs Inc, Meralco Center, Ortigas Avenue, Pasig, Metro Manila, Philippines (1991-1994)
Computer Information Systems Inc, and Software Breakthroughs Inc, Meralco Center, Ortigas Avenue, Pasig, Metro Manila, Philippines (1983-1991)
TRAINING SEMINARS ATTENDED
* Tom Hopkins Selling Seminar
* Steven Covey Leadership Seminar
* Hannover Messe 97, Germany
* Platinum Technology Y2K Tools Training, Texas, USA
* DCI Year 2000 Conference, Florida, USA
* SuperVision Seminar
* Consulting Skills Seminar
* Winning Marketing
* Beyond Corplan: Strategic Business Planning
* Relational Analysis and Design for Executives
* Pricing for Profit
* Creating a Results-Oriented Sales Plan Workshop
* Workflow Reengineering
* Interaction Management
* Work Attitude Program
* Competitive Edge Selling
* CVCS Product Appreciation Sessions, Jakarta and Singapore
* 2nd Asean Imaging Management Seminar, Singapore
* 1st and 2nd Annual Recognition Asia/Pacific Distributor Conferences, Singapore
TRAINING SEMINARS CONDUCTED
* Selling Cycle: A Marketing Skills Seminar
* Client Orientation Seminar
* Front-Line Client Interaction Workshop
* Presentation Skills Seminar
* Session on Quality
* Communication Skills Seminar and Workshop:
– Presentation Skills
– High Impact Language
– Persuasion and Negotiation Techniques
– International Communication
* Imaging and Workflow: Powerful Tools for Office Automation
Bachelor of Science – Biological Sciences
UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES
Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
[Updated Jan. 1, 2010]